In this series, I'll do my best to chronicle the journey of creating the paint job for this piece from start to finish.
To begin, the client shipped me an Eberl resin which needed quite a bit of prep work and because I'm a stinker when it comes to prep I took my time making sure I did a good job. This was obviously an older resin as it had a lot of pin holes that needed filling and I did that with a watered down epoxy putty crushing it into the holes to fill them. It seemed every time I thought I as ready to move on to the next step, more pinholes would "appear" when I added a layer of primer. ARGH!!
Then, I did the unthinkable!! I put the resin down to dry and like a fool didn't set him right and over he toppled loosing the tip of his ear. OK totally not cool, but alright, easy fix. After the putty and primer dried, I broke out with the baking soda and super glue and went about the task of recreating the ear tip because I could not locate the piece that broke off.
Then, it was on to finishing prep and to begin the painting process. What I originally thought to do in order to apply the paint was a strategy I ended up abandoning. I was going to try applying colors one hair at a time in different shades based on Rocky's real summertime coat. That strategy I quickly abandoned after completing the Veronka piece which I did a whole different way. Every model I paint is a learning experience and I add a little more to my toolbox each time. I started over by applying some pastel dust over the body in a darker shade than the real Rocky has. This would later serve as a platform with which to roan out the body. The appy spots were positioned although I would later need to adjust as I progress.
And this concludes the first installment!