When we left off, I had layered on some pastel dust and sealed it. I used several different pastel colors to achieve the base color for a light rose grey and a combination of black and grey to shade in the skin of the genitals and between the buttocks as well as the muzzle and eyes.
My next step involves brushes and paints to lay in the individual hairs. I chose to work with three brushes - a #3 round by Simply Simmons, a Kolinsky reservoir liner brush, and a small liner brush.
Using the liner brushes with a paint mix consisting of burnt umber and burnt sienna, I painted lots of tiny hairs into the coat. With the larger round brush, I used a very light grey mix (mostly titanium white with a tiny bit of burnt umber and black) and brushed in lighter areas on the barrel and girth area.
Working in layers, the hair details were laid in and and where I didn't like it I'd wash over with either paint or pastel dust until I had the entire body color where I wanted it. The eyes were painted in and the hooves were completed using pastels. The tail and mane were done with a combination of acrylic paint and pastel. I finally finished the piece and sealed it with a semi-gloss Model Masters clear sealer.
I received word today after panicking on the long delay the Post Office took in delivering the resin to his new owner in California that he arrived safe and sound. I was told he was gorgeous in person and that always makes me happy because I never seem to be able to photo the finished models very well.
Head over heels for all things equine and prehistoric. Model builder and painter who loves to pour heart and soul into her work.