To summarize, the little guys were glued together with super glue and required a little putty work to fill the seams. At the dock of the tails, I added some epoxy and sculpted hair to blend it in for added strength and to fill out the top of the tail. Prep went on as usual - an Ajax wash and a couple coats of Tamiya white primer and topped off with two coats of brush on Liquitex white gesso.
I put it in my mind that while on winter recess from the job I would get both these guys painted working them side by side. Since the sculpt represents a bad boy horse, I decided I needed to watch some bad boys on the tellie while I worked. My painting station, at the moment, is a small section of computer desk with a rolling plastic storage shelf unit I keep my paints, pastels, brushes and other customizing supplies in. The top has sections that I can set my brush basin in for rinse water and some paper towel and brushes I am uses.
Switching over to Vin Diesel in Babylon AD on XFinity online, the golden base coat of the second piece was applied - I was shooting for a toasty golden brown bay.
Next, I began bringing up the browns in the second model and added a bit more dust to the appy one. Please focus on the horses and not Vin Diesel in the background HAHAA.
Oh yeah!! Looking good - looking really good!!
Donna, which are you addressing - Hugh or the horses???
Um, yeah, you guess!
I apply the white markings and roaning with my favorite brush - a Kolinsky reservoir liner brush (thank you, Jamie Baker, for turning me on to this brush!). Although this one is probably in need of retirement, I find the brush still very useful and able to apply tiny markings. Beware that they don't hold up for a long time. I can remember it being said that six months is a reasonable lifespan with a good amount of use for this brush. Mine is probably pushing a year old and I tend to do a lot of roaning.
With about ten hours invested in both of these pieces, I decided it was time to call it a day. The appy in particular has truly taken on a unique look although he's far from done. I do need to continue adding some layers of roaning and pastel dust to bring the piece to completion. At the end of Day 1, I am pretty happy with where he's going.
Next post - the "Day Two" all day painting session!